High Point Parks and Recreation Department
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
MRF Equipment Operator I
at High Point Parks and Recreation Department
- Occupational Summary
Performs responsible semi-skilled work operating a front-end loader, bobcat and forklift in the dissimulation of solid waste at the city's Material Recovery Facility; does related work as required. Work is performed under regular supervision.
- Essential Tasks
- Operates Baler;
- Operates front-end loader pushing recyclables onto conveyors loading into baler hopper, dumping recycle bins and loading scrap metal into roll-offs;
- Operates skid steer in loading recyclables on conveyors, moving cardboard, wood and metals into appropriate piles and moving recycle bins in and out;
- Operates rotary broom to sweep and scrub tipping floor;
- Operates forklift loading bales of recyclables onto trucks, loading and moving baled recyclable material into semi-trailers or storage areas and moving recycle bins in and out;
- Checks recycling baskets and roll-offs under picking line and replaces when full;
- Services and makes minor repairs to equipment;
- Operates light equipment and /or performs as sweeper or picker when not operating medium and heavy equipment;
- Ensures that all work is performed in accordance with OSHA and City Safety Standards and Policies.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- Basic reading and writing.
- On the job training approximately 3 months.
- Experience with heavy equipment is required.
- Experience as a Mechanic is preferred.
- Must be able to lift to 50 pounds or more with assistance.
- Must be 21 years of age.
- Must have good driving and safety records.
- English Language skills
- Valid North Carolina Driver's License
Hearing/Speaking – Talking – Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of spoken work. Hearing – Perceiving nature of sounds by ear. Both necessary to converse with other employees and supervisor working together to accomplish tasks.
Visual Abilities – the ability to perceive the nature of objects by the eye. Recommended guidelines for vision are:
- Acuity, far – clarity of vision at 20 feet or more. Must be able to see the public, other workers and traffic from a distance for safety reasons when operating the truck. Both eyes 20/22 – R 20/25 – L 20/25 corrected.
- Acuity, near – clarity of vision at 20 inches or less. Must be able to see operating panel of truck and other work aids close at hand. Both eyes 20/30 corrected.
- Depth Perception – three-dimensional vision. Ability to judge distance and space relationships to see objects where and as they are. Must be able to judge distances to use both hands in performing different tasks at the same time and to operate the truck safely.
- Field of vision – area that can be seen up and down or the right or left while eyes are fixed on a given point. Must be able to see wide span of area to cover traffic and people entering and leaving the work area to ensure safety.
- Accommodation – adjustment of lens of eye to bring an object into sharp focus. This is especially important when doing near-point work while glancing up to check entire work area. Must be able to adjust the eye lens to glance quickly from equipment to people who are located at varying distance.
- Medium to Heavy Work must be able to lift up to 50 pounds or more with assistance.
- Exerting considerable force constantly in operation of front-end loader, skid steer, forklift and/or lighter equipment.
- Physical demand requirements usually require sitting although when needed to assist in handling trash, the worker will be required to walk, stand, bend, stoop, stretch, climb stairs and work on high platforms.
- There is significant use of arms, hands, legs and feet.
- Reaching – Extending the hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction.
- Handling – Seizing, holding, grasping, turning, or otherwise working with hand or hands (fingering not involved).
- Fingering – Picking, pinching, or otherwise working with fingers primarily rather than the whole hand or arm.
- All are requirements of this job.
- Ability to apply principles of logical thinking to work tasks and handle practical situations and requests made by supervisor; to comprehend and respond to a variety of situations in an expedient manner.
- Ability to understand and follow simple oral and written directives and perform the relative tasks.
- Good judgment is important.
Mathematics Ability –
- Minimum –Basic counting skills- addition and subtraction.
- Read - Ability to read manuals, safety rules and regulations, instructions, directions, street names and numbers and other documents relating to job.
- Write – Ability to write instructions and/or directives as received, notes pertaining to the job, completed assignments on a work log and messages.
- Speak - Ability to be conversant in voice and diction to participate in discussions with supervisor and other employees.
- The worker is subject to inside environmental conditions. Exposed to the various weather conditions and temperatures. The worker will be exposed to weather which is extremely hot and extremely cold. The position is best suited for someone who doesn't mind getting hot, cold, wet, dirty and sweaty.
- Employee will be exposed to rain, sleet, snow, wind, cold and hot weather, trash, garbage, dirt, and insects. Work is subject to final standards of OSHA on bloodborne pathogens.
- Personnel Resolution, front-end loader, rubber tire loader, bobcat, forklift, track-loader, dozer, backhoe and various types of trucks, lubrication, mechanic tools and other work aids.
This job description may not be all-inclusive, as jobs evolve over time to meet the ever-changing needs of the City of High Point's workforce. This job description is not intended to and does not create a contract or offer of employment to any individual. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, it is possible that requirements may be modified to reasonably accommodate disabled individuals. However, no accommodations will be made which may pose serious health or safety risks to the employee or others or which impose undue hardships on the City of High Point. Candidates selected for employment must pass a background screening as well as a pre-employment physical to ensure medical clearance to perform the essential functions of the job prior to receiving a full offer of employment.
The City of High Point is an at-will employer and employees may be terminated or may terminate their employment at any time with or without reason for any reason not prohibited by law.