Guilford County Schools
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Nursing Services Supervisor - Greensboro
at Guilford County Schools
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
Nurse in this position provides advanced and specialized professional nursing skills and serves as a supervisor and coordinator of a program component within a public health department. This nurse works under the direction of a Public Health Program Manager or Nurse Services Manager.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
Nurse has acquired all competencies of the PH Nurse Specialist II. Nursing Services Supervisor is accountable for the management of a health services program component within a Child Health, Adult Health, or Family Planning/Maternity Division of the Public Health Department.
This position may supervise an outreach team made up of other RNs and paraprofessional staff who are assigned to school health nursing or community nursing. Work is distinguished from the Nurse Specialist II by the management/supervisory role, analytical review and accountability of program services.
- Examples of Duties
Primary purpose of this position is operational administration of Primary Care, Refugee Health, Adult and Child Immunization, International Travel, and STI programs in Greensboro, assuring compliance with all State guidelines. Serves as back up for TB and Communicable Disease supervisor and Clinic Manager when necessary. Supervision and performance evaluations for eight RNs, 1 CMA, and two Nurse Assistants. Performs clinical duties in all areas supervised.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Thorough knowledge of and skill in the application of nursing theory, practices, principles, and techniques employed in the field of public health and related programs.
• Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of public health nursing, or applicable public health laws and ordinances, and of the scope and aspects of the program of health education and administration.
• Thorough knowledge of the functions of other health social agencies and their relationship to the public health program.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with recipients of public health care, other public health agencies and the general public.
• Ability to understand and carry out detailed instructions of a technical or professional nature.
• Ability to supervise, plan, coordinate the work of others, and display interpersonal skills.
• Ability to interpret and explain public health laws and regulations and ability to keep records and make reports.
• Ability to make in depth assessments and demonstrate nursing skills to other nurses.
- Typical Qualifications
Graduation from a four-year college or university with a BS Degree in Nursing which includes a Public Health Nursing rotation and two years of professional nursing experience in a public health setting or related environment and one year demonstrated experience in specialty area in a lead, supervisory or management role. Experience can include education in the form of workshops, certification, and/or graduate programs related to clinical area. Additional training in supervision and management may be required.
Necessary Special Qualification
Possession of current license as a registered nurse issued by the North Carolina Board of Nursing and such other qualifications that may be prescribed by the State Department of Health.
Documentation of immunity to: measles, mumps, rubella, and chickenpox, per CDC recommendations. Screening/proof of Hepatitis B immunity, as recommended by the CDC.
BSN preferred with supervisory experience in a Public Health or Primary Care Clinical Setting.
- Supplemental Information
Physical Demands and Work Conditions
Sits, walks and stands during a workday. Practices good body mechanics.
Must be able to physically perform the basic life support functions of walking, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
Must be able to lift patients (children) and objects up to 30 pounds as required for some positions.
Must have the visual acuity to record observations and physical assessments of clients, to read and interpret test results, administer immunizations/prescription dosages, and record medical findings.
Work is performed within a public health clinical setting or community environment. Nurse may occasionally be in contact with difficult patients.
Nurses may be exposed to infection from disease-bearing patients, and specimens.
This generic class description gives an overview of the job class, its essential job functions, and recommended job requirements. However, for each individual position assigned to this Class, there is available a completed job description with a physical abilities checklist which can give further details about that one specific position. Those documents should be reviewed before initiating a selection process. They can provide additional detailed information on which to base various personnel actions and can assist management in making legal defensible personnel decisions.