Guilford County Schools
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Firefighter II - Hourly
at Guilford County Schools
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
An employee in this classification is responsible for the fire and life safety of our citizens by responding to fire/rescue related incidents, drive emergency equipment and operate it at the scene of emergencies within the county.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
Employee responsible for performing duties related to emergency operations involving medical rescue, technical rescue, fire suppression and Haz-Mat. Employee maintains apparatus, equipment and facilities for response. Assist County Fire Departments with pre-fire planning, comprehensive fire/rescue training, public education and other support related operations. Assist with initial fire investigations to determine cause and origin as requested by investigators. Perform other duties as assigned by the Director.
- Examples of Duties
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES
Essential Duties and Tasks
• Will function as a Firefighter on a (4) person Rescue Company. Drive emergency equipment and operate it at the scene of emergencies
• Perform duties related to emergency operations involving fire suppression, technical rescue, surface and water rescue, and hazardous materials.
• Maintain apparatus, equipment, and facilities for response.
• Assist area fire departments with pre-fire planning, comprehensive fire/rescue training and other support related operations.
• Assist with initial fire/arson investigations to determine cause of origin as requested by investigators.
• Perform other duties assigned by Director.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Considerable knowledge of fire fighting procedures, technical and medical rescue and Haz-Mat.
• Maintain a working knowledge of computer programs necessary to accurately maintain records and databases.
• Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
• Ability to conduct research to stay abreast on all aspects of current Fire Science and Fire Protection technology information.
• Knowledge of fundamentals of fire fighting, fire behavior, and building construction.
- Typical Qualifications
Firefighter II Qualifications:
Must be 18 years of age, a high school graduate or have a GED, and a minimum of two years experience as a firefighter. Must possess certification in the following disciplines: Firefighter II, Emergency Medical Technician and Haz-Mat Operations Level I/OSHA 1910.120 Hazwoper.
Must possess a valid NC Class B driver's license within six (6) months of employment. Must have visual acuity; capacity to lift and/or carry heavy objects, and faculty of both hands. Must have the ability to wear respirator and other personal protective equipment. Applicants must complete a Swim Test within (6) months of employment. Applicant will be required to obtain NC Hazardous Materials Technician Certification based on class availability (coordinated by employer).
- Supplemental Information
Physical Demands and Work Conditions
An employee in this position must be able to physically perform the basic life operational functions of climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions. The employee must be able to perform medium work exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pound of force constantly to move objects.
This position will be assigned to work a twenty-four hour shift, or any other shift assigned by the director, but is subject to call back duty in addition to attending evening and weekend classes or meetings. May be requested to work when needed, including nights, weekends, and Holidays and must be able to perform work in all environments (day, night, heat, cold, rain, ice, snow) at times, in dangerous or hostile situations in rural and urban locations.