Guilford County Schools
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Guilford County Schools
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
An employee in this classification is responsible for the fire and life safety of our citizens by responding to fire/rescue related incidents, drive emergency equipment and operate it at the scene of emergencies within the county.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
An Employee in this class is responsible for performing duties related to emergency operations involving medical rescue, technical rescue, fire suppression and Hazardous Material incidents. Employee maintains apparatus, equipment and facilities for response. Assist County Fire Departments with pre-fire planning, comprehensive fire/rescue training, public education and other support related operations. Assist with initial fire investigations to determine origin and cause as requested by investigators. Perform other duties as assigned by the Director.
- Examples of Duties
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential Duties and Tasks
- Will function as a Firefighter on a multi-person Rescue Company. Drive emergency equipment and operate it at the scene of emergencies
- Perform duties related to emergency operations involving fire suppression, hazardous materials incidents as well as perform technical rescues involving vehicle extrication, surface and water rescue incidents.
- Maintain apparatus, equipment, and facilities for response.
- Assist area fire departments with pre-fire planning, comprehensive fire/rescue training and other support related operations.
- Assist fire investigators with initial fire/arson investigations to determine origin and cause.
- Perform other duties assigned by Director.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of firefighting procedures, technical rescue, medical rescue and Hazardous-Materials.
- Maintain a working knowledge of computer programs necessary to accurately maintain records and databases.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to conduct research to stay abreast on all aspects of current Fire Science and Fire Protection
- technology information.
- Knowledge of fundamentals of firefighting, fire behavior, and building construction.
- Typical Qualifications
Firefighter II Qualifications:
Must be 18 years of age, a high school graduate or have a GED, and a minimum of two years of experience as a firefighter. Must possess certification in the following disciplines: NC Firefighter, ProBoard Firefighter II or IFSAC Firefighter II, NC Emergency Medical Technician and NC, IFSAC or ProBoard Haz-Mat Operations Level I.
- Supplemental Information
- Physical Demands and Work ConditionsAn employee in this position must be able to physically perform the basic life operational functions of climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions. The employee must be able to perform medium work exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pound of force constantly to move objects.
Special NoteThis position will be assigned to work a twenty-four hour shift, or any other shift assigned by the director, but is subject to call back duty in addition to attending evening and weekend classes or meetings. May be requested to work when needed, including nights, weekends, and Holidays and must be able to perform work in all environments (day, night, heat, cold, rain, ice, snow) at times, in dangerous or hostile situations in rural and urban locations.