Guilford County Schools
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Detention Service Officer Pool
at Guilford County Schools
- New Hire Starting Pay as High as $48,500
(Up to $10,800 added to base pay. Details listed under Supplemental Information.)
Base Pay for Education
$37,200 = High School
$39,100 = Associate's Degree
$41,000 = Bachelor's Degree
$42,900 = Related Master's Degree
(Psychology, Sociology, Public Administration, Business Administration or Criminal Justice)
Up to $3,800 = Full Time Military Service
Up to $3,800 = Full Time Law Enforcement/Corrections/Probation Officer Experience
Up to $1,800 = Fluency in Chinese, Spanish, Vietnamese, or Arabic (Via Assessment)
Earn approximately $2,000 per year in Holiday Pay for Rotational ScheduleExtensive opportunities to earn approximately $195-$255 extra per Overtime Shift (Post-Field Training)
GUILFORD COUNTY LAW ENFORCEMENT IS ACTIVELY HIRING FOR THIS POSITION. THERE ARE SEVERAL OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE. PLEASE REMEMBER TO COMPLETE THE ADDITIONAL FORMS FOUND IN THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTION SECTION AND SUBMIT BY NO LATER THAN 12 P.M. ON THE LAST DAY OF THE MONTH.
All employees at the Guilford County Sheriff's Office must be a resident of Guilford County or one of its contiguous counties (Rockingham, Alamance, Randolph, Davidson, Stokes and Forsyth).
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIESPerforms specialized inmate detention and care work in one of two county detention facilities in the Guilford County Sheriff's Office.DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASSAn employee in this class performs inmate intake, detention, care, and release work in accordance with established policies and procedures. Work includes the observation and accompaniment of inmates inside the cell and detention facility and related care and record keeping requirements. Patience and firmness are required in frequent contacts with violent, suicidal, and mentally disturbed detainees. The employee is subject to a hazardous and confining working environment. Work is performed under the general supervision and is evaluated by review of inmate records and activity reports, during formal discussion, and by observation.
- Examples of Duties
- DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIESGreensboro and High Point - This is a non-sworn position within the Detention Services Division that requires handling persons who have been arrested, detained, or sentenced by court action. The primary function of the officer is the safety and care of those persons. Gibsonville - Provide custody and security to minimum custody inmates. Performs supervisory work involving guarding and training of inmates engaged in a variety of tasks at the Prison Farm. Provides transportation to court, medical appointments, etc. Part-time performs supervisory work involving guarding and training of inmates engaged in a variety of farm operation work for the Prison Farm and public service work at the Guilford County School System (mowing, pruning, raking leaves and cleaning grounds.) Twelve-hour rotating shifts. Note: Part-time positions also available at the County Prison Farm in Gibsonville.
- Typical Qualifications
- Minimum Qualifications
High school graduation or equivalent and demonstrated work experience to perform job duties, such as experience in local or federal detention or correction centers, military police, or other law enforcement settings or other similar work settings, OR, graduation from an associate degree program with emphasis in corrections or criminal justice or related field, OR, graduation from an accredited four-year college or university.Special RequirementMust meet minimum standards set by State of North Carolina for detention officers.
- Supplemental Information
- Education - Starting salary of $37,200 for hires with a High School Education, $39,100 for hires with an Associate's Degree, $41,000 for hires with a Bachelor's Degree, and $42,900 for hires with a Master's Degree in Psychology, Sociology, Public Administration, Business Administration or Criminal Justice
- Prior Full Time Military Service - $380 increase per year for up to 10 years of active service
- Prior Full Time Law Enforcement/Corrections/Probation Officer experience - $380 increase per year for up to 10 years of active service
- Military/Prior experience are combined to a maximum of 10 years credit.
- Fluency in Chinese, Spanish, Vietnamese, or Arabic - $1,800 increase (assessment required)
- Holiday Pay for Rotational Schedule - Approximately $2,000 per year
- Extensive Possible Overtime Opportunities after completing Field Training - Approximately $195-$255 per Overtime Shift
Applicants with prior US Military service, or who have earned an Associates, Bachelors, or a job related Masters/equivalent Post-Graduate degree will receive an increase in pay for either their education or active military service.
For additional information click HERE to visit the Sheriff's Office website.