Guilford County Schools
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Animal Care (Facility Cleaning) Tech
at Guilford County Schools
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Guilford County Animal Shelter is the only public shelter in Guilford County. We are a professional, caring organization devoted to saving the lives of lost, abandoned and surrendered animals of Guilford County, N.C. We strive to humanely care for all the animals and work diligently to return lost animals to their owners.
This position ensures daily care and feeding of the animals while also maintaining the sanitary conditions in the cages and kennel areas. In addition, this position will assist with the daily enrichment of the animals as well as facilitate adoption with various members of our community.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIESCleans, feeds and houses animals in the shelter facility. Maintains sanitary conditions in the cages and kennel areas.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASSAnimal Care Technicians are responsible for the daily care and feeding of the animals within our organization. In this fast-paced environment, they will clean, feed and maintain the animal population. They will assist with the daily enrichment of the animals in our care as well as facilitate adoption with various members of our community. Incumbents will be expected to work as part of a team but also be able to work independently to achieve organizational goals. Incumbents must be available and willing to work weekends, holidays and to attend any mandatory training or meetings the employer determines are necessary to meet business needs. Reports to the Animal Care Supervisor.
- Examples of Duties
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential Duties and Tasks
- Performs animal care duties such as preparing food, feeding and providing water, cleaning and disinfecting food and water bowls.
- Cleans and disinfects animal areas, including but not limited to: sweeping and mopping floors, washing, sweeping and scrubbing debris from walls, beds and any other areas, as well as cleaning and disinfecting litter pans, small animals cages and livestock pens.
- Meets, greets, and interfaces with members of the public visiting the shelter whether it be to visit the animals or for adoption.
- Assists in matching animals to potential adopters. Introduces animals to the potential adopters and provides information regarding that particular animal's behavior, responsible pet-ownership tips and shelter operations information.
- Monitors all animals in their designated area on a daily bases and provides observations for them for any unusual physical and/or behavioral conditions. May assist the veterinarian or staff with vaccinations and minor medical treatments.
- Keeps a record on the disposition and daily habits of animals, performs a daily count of animals and is responsible for reporting any condition or inconsistencies to the supervisor or veterinary staff as appropriate.
- Completes various records and forms such as medical cards, daily observation sheets, and observation memos in the animal management system.
- Assists in maintaining inventory of food and other animal supply needs by reporting when items need to be ordered.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of basic cleaning, disinfectant, and animal husbandry procedures.
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions.
- Ability to work in variety of temperatures and conditions.
- Knowledge of disease management/recognition, general animal care and safe, humane animal handling skills.
- Knowledge of various breeds of dogs, cats and other animals.
- Knowledge of animal shelter policies and procedures.
- Ability to work as part of a team to accomplish tasks.
- Ability to keep accurate, and detailed records and enter them into computerized animal management system.
- Ability to perform math.
- Ability to effectively communicate to clients, staff and management both verbally and in writing.
- Typical Qualifications
High School Diploma or GED and one year of experience in animal care in a veterinary hospital, animal shelter, humane society or other animal care facility.
Two-years of experience in fast-paced animal and customer-oriented field.
- Supplemental Information
Working Conditions and Physical Demands of WorkThe following physical activities described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and expectations. While performing the functions of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear; frequently required to stand, walk, sit, and use hands to finger, handle, or feel, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds; frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds; frequently push and/or pull up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
Working conditions are in a kennel environment with frequent exposure to laboratory conditions including hazardous materials, unfavorable fumes and odors, and working with animal body fluids and infectious diseases, and loud noises.Special Note: This generic class description gives an overview of the job class, its essential job functions, and recommended job requirements. However, for each individual position assigned to this class, there is available a completed job questionnaire with a physical abilities checklist, which can give further details about that one specific position. Those documents should be reviewed before initiating a selection process. They can provide additional detailed information on which to base various personnel actions and can assist management in making legal and defensible personnel decisions.