General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Advanced Architect for Undersea Cable Systems*
at General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems
- Job Location
- Required Clearance
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Hiring Company
- General Dynamics Mission Systems
Bachelor’s degree in Optical Engineering, Optical Sciences and Engineering, Physics, or Electrical Engineering from an accredited major university (or equivalent experience) plus a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience; or Master's degree in Optical Engineering, Optical Sciences and Engineering, Physics, or Electrical Engineering from an accredited major university plus a minimum of 6 years of relevant experience. Experience with long haul, long duration undersea cabled / communication systems.
A current Secret Clearance is required at time of hire. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
Responsibilities for this Position
A Relocation package may be available for this position.
General Dynamics Mission Systems has an immediate opening for a Senior Advanced Architect for Undersea Cable Systems. This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation’s core defense/intelligence services and systems. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
- Familiarity with high-speed transport, including SONET/SDH, GFP, and OTN, at rates up to 10 Gbps at a minimum with experience with higher rates (100G) preferred
- Direct experience with commercial multiplexing, routing, and switching hardware and routing protocols
- Familiarity with performance monitoring metrics
- Familiarity with DWDM transport systems (metro, unrepeatered, or long-haul), and design and impairment analysis of such systems
- Familiarity with coherent systems
- Candidate should have experience in developing requirements and specifications, demonstrated leadership in an integrated team environment and excellent verbal and writing skills
General Responsibilities for this Position
The Senior Advanced Architect for Undersea Cable Systems will work with collaborative teams to design, develop and manage a variety of equipment and systems solutions for General Dynamics Mission Systems and its clients. This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation’s core defense services and systems. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
- The Senior Advanced Architect for Undersea Cable Systems will design, develop, build and test systems and products based on optic, photonic and laser technologies.
- Additionally, this person will interact with device, hardware and software design teams to assist in overall development of optical systems which includes: specifying, selecting and qualifying active and passive optical components, developing and benchmarking system performance models, developing and implementing test procedures and/or evaluating and selecting appropriate test instrumentation.
- The candidate will recommend technological modifications to the development of new undersea photonic products and/or design changes that improve performance of existing products.
- This person participates in electrical and optical requirements analysis, requirements definition, requirements management, functional analysis, performance analysis (e.g. optical loss, timing, power, etc.), design, integration, and verification of electrical and optical components, equipment and systems.
- The candidate will perform root cause analysis for electrical and optical issues, conduct experimental tests, evaluate results to formulate and implement solutions to issues.
- Additionally, this person will participate in design reviews of electrical and optical components, equipment and systems.
- The candidate will contribute to the research and analysis of data, such as customer design proposal specifications, and manuals to determine feasibility of design or application and select components and equipment based on analysis of specifications and reliability.
- The candidate will be expected to lead small technical proposals and contribute on medium to large proposals, as a technical writer or basis of estimate author.
- The Senior Advanced Architect for Undersea Cable Systems will work on unusually complex problems and provide creative and innovative solutions in a project leadership role.
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 13,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran