General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Principal Engineering Technician
at General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems
- Job Location
- Required Clearance
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Hiring Company
- General Dynamics Mission Systems
Associate's degree in related discipline or equivalent is required plus a minimum of 7 years of relevant experience.
Department of Defense Secret security clearance is required within a reasonable period of time. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
Responsibilities for this Position
General Dynamics Mission Systems has an immediate opening for a Principal Engineering Technician. This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation’s core defense/intelligence services and systems. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND TASKS:
Performs wide variety of the most complex technical tasks to support, design, develop, modify and improve equipment, tools, processes, product, procedure and documentation
Open to new ideas and can serve as a champion for change and acts to support change when directed from management Provide technical expertise in problem analysis and solutions utilizing complex instrumentation and software
Researches and evaluate comprehensive technical material
Analyzes results and implements procedures for problems
Assists in the development of new/revised product and programs
Improvises, adapts, creates operating procedures to enhance quality, cycle time and customer satisfaction
Technical support lead in the development of prototypes
Trainer for less skilled technical personnel
Can be expected to lead, direct, organize Technician work
Leads by initiative and example
Works with associates and other departments and participates in cross-functional relationships
Often acts as a facilitator and team leader
Develops test specifications and procedures as required
Prepares reports, documentation/specifications as required
Has increased contact with customer as required
- Experience in Development and Implementation of New Processes in support of system testing. To include documenting, the processes performed during test article build.
- Design and Procurement of Tooling and Equipment.
- Responsible for Development and Deployment of Manufacturing Processes. Including; Development of Detailed Process Work Instructions, Material Resource Planning, Shop Floor Control, Process Team Leadership.
- Control of Non-Conforming Material, Risk Identification and Mitigation, and implementation of Preventive and Corrective Action.
- Interface with Design Engineers to evaluate New Product Design for Manufacturability and survivability of system deployment.
- Setup facilities and equipment for the building of High Reliability Undersea Fiber Optic Hardware.
- Developed and Implemented Process Quality Goals and Performance Measurement Tools.
- Analyzed Process Performance Results and Deploy Responsive Action to ensure that Quality and performance goals are met.
Interface with Customer and End User as required to convey test article integration and build processes.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
As a highly skilled specialist, contributes to the development of concepts and techniques
Completes complex tasks in creative and effective ways
Ability to generate documents, spreadsheet data analysis, test software and complex block diagram creation
Understands technologies available to conduct business, when to use them and how to access them for business support
Ability to reuse technologies between multiple programs
Consistently works on complex assignments requiring independent action and a high degree of initiative to resolve issues
Acts independently to determine methods and procedures on new assignments
Provides direction to other employees with similar duties as required. Often acts as a facilitator and team leader
Influential with others and demonstrates superior communication and collaborative skills consistent with expectations for position
Proficient in the application and interpretation of complex specifications, requirements, contracts, policies, standards and practices
Proficient in prioritizing and maintaining effective technical support of multiple tasks and assignments
- Proficient knowledge of optical fiber handling and splicing to produce low loss high strength splices. To include the operation of fiber strippers, cleaners, cleavers and splicers.
- Obtain solder certification in accordance with IPC-A-610 and inspection in accordance with J-STD-001.
- Proficient knowledge for the operation of Automated Insertion Molding Systems. (AIMS) machines for molding of Coupling and Splice Box Assemblies.
- Obtain certification in overhead Crane and forklift operation for the lifting and moving of heavy material.
- Proficient and safe operation of power tools, hand tools and equipment required to build test articles.
- Knowledge of optical test equipment for the measurement of optical conditions.
Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
Shows initiative on assignments, exercises independent judgment and professionally executes projects with little direction
Proficient ability in communicating issues, impacts, and corrective actions
- Failure Mode Analysis (FMA)
- Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT)
- Manufacturing fixture and Tool Design
- Pro-3 General Dynamics MRP System
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 13,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran